If American and European people prefer bread or potato as main source of carbohydrate, most eastern Asian people choose rice as staple of their main dish. Fried rice is only one example why rice is very easy to served, even if we only have a few leftover ingredients in refrigerator.
Fried rice can be simply prepared with a few seasonings, to elaborate dishes with a dozen and a half ingredients. The variety of fried rice also limitless, as we can use almost every kind of meat and vegetables. Fried rice also can be served as a vegetarian menu, as meat is not mandatory in the recipe, even though egg probably needed for better taste.
This is the basic Chinese fried rice recipe:
2 plates of dry-cooked white rice
2 cloves garlic, crushed
5 shallots, finely chopped
2 red chillies, finely chopped (can be replaced with chilli powder/paste)
1 tomato, thinly sliced (can be replaced with tomato sauce)
1 egg, make omelet then thinly sliced
1 spoon sweet soy sauce
1 spoon salty soy sauce
2 tablespoons oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
Cucumber, tomato and cilantro for garnishing
- Heat cooking pan. Add oil. Saute garlic, shallots and red chilies until it smells good. Add sliced tomato and stir a while.
- Add rice, both sweet and salty soy sauces, tomato sauce (if needed), then stir for few minutes.
- Add salt and pepper, mix well.
- Garnish the plate with tomato, cucumber, and cilantro. Serve the fried rice together with sliced omelet as topping. It can also be added with fried sliced shallot on the top.
Note: If you’re not a vegetarian, various meats like beef, chicken, meatball, sausage, or shrimp can be added in your fried rice.
Other Chinese Food Recipes:
- Spinach Salad Orientale
- Chinese Vegetable Soup
- Benefits of a Chinese Vegetarian Diet
- Mandarin Pancake